The Total Package
"It's not good enough to just make natural products — they also have to be packaged in ways that make them easy for you to use and attractive as well as environmentally sustainable. It's a lot of fun researching all the options." Kate Bussell, In-House Design Leader
Our use of recycled and sustainable materials
We strive to maximize the recycled and recyclable content of Tom's of Maine products and packaging. We use packaging made of post-consumer recycled paper board. Here are environmental impact estimates we developed using the Environmental Defense Fund Paper Calculator to help us show you the potential sustainability impact from using post-consumer recycled paper board. In 2008, this practice helped us save an estimated 6,000 trees and helps us to avoid:
- 0.5 million pounds of solid waste
- 2.5 million gallons of wastewater
- 6 billion BTUs of electricity — that's 60 years of electricity as required by the average U.S. home.
- 6,000 pounds of air pollution
Environmental impact estimates were made using the Environmental Defense Fund Paper Calculator.
For more information visit http://www.papercalculator.org
- Print our corrugated cases with waste ink
- Use vegetable-based inks on all of our professionally printed materials and packaging
- Use a deodorant stick made of a single plastic (#5 polypropylene) so that it can be recycled — the first of its kind in the industry. Employee Bill Hetzel tells the story of how we developed this innovative packaging through the Gimme 5 program.
Recycling our productsWe strive to maximize recycled content and recyclability of our packaging! Even better, in an effort to be transparent, we have created a list that sets out what we use to make our packages and how they can be recycled.
Recycle all your Tom's products with TerracycleRecycle all of your Tom’s of Maine products with Terracycle and convert would-be waste materials into fun and unique products!
Rules to live byOur Stewardship Model is a practical tool for judging what does and does not belong in our products and guides our decision-making as we formulate our products.